CALENDAR

Guided tours are available daily.  Learn more about our tour options.

Historic Hotel Tour times: 
Tuesday-Saturday: 10:30am, 11:30am, 12:30pm, 1:30pm, 2:30pm, 3:30pm 
Sunday: 10:30am, 11:30am, 1:30pm, 2:30pm, 3:30pm

Touch of Chinatown Tour times: 
Tuesday-Saturday: 2:00pm

Calendar View List View Printer-Friendly Version Print View Export as iCalendar
Event Details
Shi Shi Mai New Year Blessing
A traditional Japanese New Year ceremony

Saturday, January 2, 2016 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM

Japanese New Year has traditionally occurred at the same time as the Lunar New Year. In 1873, the Japanese New Year was changed to coincide with the Gregorian calendar, January 1st. 

The shi shi mai is a traditional Japanese lion dance performed during New Year celebrations. The Japanese lion typically has a wooden, lacquered head with a body of green cloth with white designs manipulated by one or two dancers.

For four years running, Rev Kanjin Cederman of the Seattle Choeizan Enkyoji Nichiren Buddhist Temple (501 South Jackson St #202 Seattle, WA 98104) has brought the shi shi mai dance to Wing Luke Museum to celebrate the New Year.

He also bestows a blessing that is placed above the museum’s main doors. This blessing is thought to bring good luck and good fortune into the museum throughout the year. 

A simple offering of oranges and a donation to the temple is given to the lion. Guests will be blessed by getting “bitten” by the lion and receive an orange to bring home.

The shi shi mai ceremony is free and open to the public. Admission is required to view the museum galleries.

Fees: Free and open to the public.
Does not include museum admission.
Calendar:
Category: Special Events
  Add this single event to my Outlook(TM) Calendar  Add this single event to my Google(TM) Calendar  Add this single event to my Yahoo!(R) Calendar

National Park Service

STEP INTO A UNIQUELY AMERICAN STORY

Hours & Directions | In the News | Media Inquiries | Contact Us
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

© 2015 WING LUKE MUSEUM OF THE ASIAN PACIFIC AMERICAN EXPERIENCE