CALENDAR

Guided tours are available daily.  Learn more about our tour options.

Historic Hotel Tour times: 
Tuesday-Saturday: 10:30am, 11:30am, 12:30pm, 1:30pm, 2:30pm, 3:30pm 
Sunday: 10:30am, 11:30am, 1:30pm, 2:30pm, 3:30pm

Touch of Chinatown Tour times: 
Tuesday-Saturday: 2:00pm

Calendar View List View Printer-Friendly Version Print View Export as iCalendar
Event Details
Poetry reading with MICHAEL SCHMELTZER
New poetry book BLOOD SONG

Saturday, April 30, 2016 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM

Join poet Michael Schmeltzer as he discusses his new poetry book Blood Song with panelists, Jane Wong, Michelle Peñaloza, and Natasha Kochicheril Moni.

The challenge of art and literature is to create something timeless, a powerful work that speaks to the audience long after the artist is gone. But does timeless writing insist on a faceless writer? Our panelists will discuss the intersection of racial identity and art, and how their Asian-American heritage influences how they write, how they are read, and how to hold onto a sense of universality while speaking toward a minority experience. 

This event is free with museum admission and free to museum Members.

Jane Wong holds a MFA in Poetry from the Iowa Writers' Workshop and teaches poetry and Asian American Studies at the University of Washington Bothell and the Hugo House. Her book Overpour (Action Books) is forthcoming this September.

Michelle Peñaloza is the author of two chapbooks: landscape/heartbreak (Two Sylvias Press) and Last Night I Dreamt of Volcanoes (Organic Weapon Arts). She is the recipient of fellowships and awards from the University of Oregon, Kundiman, 4Culture, Artist Trust, Jack Straw, and the Richard Hugo House, among others. 

Natasha Kochicheril Moni is a naturopathic medical student and the author of The Cardiologist's Daughter (Two Sylvias Press). Born in the North, to Dutch and Indian parents, and raised in the South, Natasha finds home in the Pacific Northwest. Her work can be found in numerous journals including Rattle, Luna Luna, Indiana Review, and DIAGRAM.

Fees: Free with museum admission and free to museum Members
Calendar:
Category: Book Readings
  Add this single event to my Outlook(TM) Calendar  Add this single event to my Google(TM) Calendar  Add this single event to my Yahoo!(R) Calendar

National Park Service

STEP INTO A UNIQUELY AMERICAN STORY

Hours & Directions | In the News | Media Inquiries | Contact Us
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

© 2015 WING LUKE MUSEUM OF THE ASIAN PACIFIC AMERICAN EXPERIENCE