CALENDAR

Guided tours are available daily.  Learn more about our tour options.

Historic Hotel Tour times: 
Tuesday-Saturday: 10:30am, 11:30am, 12:30pm, 1:30pm, 2:30pm, 3:30pm 
Sunday: 10:30am, 11:30am, 1:30pm, 2:30pm, 3:30pm

Touch of Chinatown Tour times: 
Tuesday-Saturday: 2:00pm

Calendar View List View Printer-Friendly Version Print View Export as iCalendar
Event Details
Abacus: Small Enough to Jail
Film Screening and Panel Discussion

Sunday, May 20, 2018 11:45 AM - 2:45 PM

From director Steve James, Abacus: Small Enough to Jail (Academy Award Nominee-Best Documentary Feature), tells the incredible saga of the Chinese immigrant Sung family, owners of Abacus Federal Savings of Chinatown, New York. Accused of mortgage fraud, the indictment and trial forces the Sung family to defend themselves -- and their bank's legacy in the Chinatown community -- over the course of a five-year legal battle.

Chanterelle Sung, a member of the Sung family, was a former prosecutor at the New York County District Attorney's Office from 20014 to 2011. After the Abacus trial was over, Chanterelle left her 10.5 year career in public service where she currently works as a director in corporate security and compliance for a phamaceutical company in New York City.

Ms. Sung and other local panelists will discuss the case and how we can all engage in actions to make sure these injustices do not happen again after the film screening at 1:45 PM.

(2017, Documentary, 90 mins. English with Mandarin Subtitles.)

Film screening starts at 11:45AM | Panel Discussion starts at 1:45PM

Presenting Sponsor: Swedish Hospital

Community Partners: Chinese American Citizens Alliance, NAAAP Seattle, Organization of Chinese Americans - Greater Seattle Chapter, Seattle Asian American Film Festival, and The Wing.

Fees: Free. Donations generously accepted.
Calendar:
Category: Film Screenings
More Information
  Add this single event to my Outlook(TM) Calendar  Add this single event to my Google(TM) Calendar  Add this single event to my Yahoo!(R) Calendar

National Park Service

STEP INTO A UNIQUELY AMERICAN STORY

Hours & Directions | In the News | Media Inquiries | Contact Us
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

© 2015 WING LUKE MUSEUM OF THE ASIAN PACIFIC AMERICAN EXPERIENCE